List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Announcing heaptrack - a Heap Memory Profiler for Linux
From:       Gregor Mi <codestruct () posteo ! org>
Date:       2014-12-04 17:43:27

On 04/12/14 15:10, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2014 01:51:57 Aleix Pol wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I have just finished writing a lengthy introduction to heaptrack, an
>>> alternative to Massif, see:
>>>
>>> http://milianw.de/blog/heaptrack-a-heap-memory-profiler-for-linux
>>>
>>> I'd like to see more people starting to use it. Any feedback, or even
>>> patches,
>>> is welcome!
>>>
>>> Especially, I'd love to see more people use it on their pet project in
>>> KDE.
>>> Quite often, you'll find useless temporary allocations, overly large
>>> memory
>>> consumption or even significant memory leaks. C++/Qt/KDE code can be
>>> extremely
>>> efficient, but you have to code accordingly. If you have any questions to
>>> the
>>> results you obtain from heaptrack, or how to improve the situation, don't
>>> hesitate to ask me. Please ask on a public mailing list, such that others
>>> can
>>> benefit from the discussion as well.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, I hereby request an official code review. Heaptrack currently
>>> lives in a scratch repository:
>>>
>>> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmwolff%2Fheaptrack.git
>>>
>>> I want to move this to extragear, skipping playground altogether, if
>>> possible.
>>
>> Cool stuff! I'll definitely give it a try!
>>
>> Regarding the move to extragear, you can start requesting the repository to
>> get it in playground and then request the move to kdereview, if you're
>> confident it's pristine. ;)
>
> Can I not skip playground? The review can be done from the scratch repo, and
> admins can then move that to extragear, no?

I recently requested a "move" from scratch to playground. But it was not an actual move of
data: a new and empty repo was created in the playground space alongside with instructions
of how to push all commits of the previous repo. Commit hooks are disabled at first so the
mailing list does not get flooded. So much of the process will be in your control.

Gregor