List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Announcing heaptrack - a Heap Memory Profiler for Linux
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2014-12-02 17:59:50

Hey all,

I have just finished writing a lengthy introduction to heaptrack, an
alternative to Massif, see:

http://milianw.de/blog/heaptrack-a-heap-memory-profiler-for-linux

I'd like to see more people starting to use it. Any feedback, or even patches,
is welcome!

Especially, I'd love to see more people use it on their pet project in KDE.
Quite often, you'll find useless temporary allocations, overly large memory
consumption or even significant memory leaks. C++/Qt/KDE code can be extremely
efficient, but you have to code accordingly. If you have any questions to the
results you obtain from heaptrack, or how to improve the situation, don't
hesitate to ask me. Please ask on a public mailing list, such that others can
benefit from the discussion as well.

Furthermore, I hereby request an official code review. Heaptrack currently
lives in a scratch repository:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmwolff%2Fheaptrack.git

I want to move this to extragear, skipping playground altogether, if possible.

Thanks, happy profiling.
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de