List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Beginning programming with KDE
From:       Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-12-01 17:15:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Alexander,

What exactly would you like to contribute to? KDE software is very general
and includes many many different applications. If you have a specific
application or group of applications in mind it will be much easier to get
started. Most people start by scratching an itch they have, such as "I use
Kate, but it doesn't do X yet, so I'll add feature X" or something like
that.

As for developing on Windows vs a virtual machine, building kde on windows
works but it's not the easiest at this point. If you want to go that
direction look at windows.kde.org for some guidance in setting up a build
environment. On the other hand if you want to begin by using some linux
distro, the libraries can be easily installed by the package manager of the
distribution you are using. Most distributions even have packages for the
frameworks libraries (sometimes referred to as kf5), though they may be in
a separate repository or something as they are fairly new.

Best of luck and welcome,
Jeremy