List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: code convention
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2014-08-12 14:29:54

On 2014-08-12, Rodrigo Bonifacio <rbonifacio123@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear kevin, I am conducting a survey about the use of exception
> handling constructs in C++. I would really appreciate if you could
> contribute to this research by answering a few questions on the
> subject.
>
> The survey is available on-line:
>
> https://pt.surveymonkey.com/s/exceptionHandling

The survey misses options.

The main reason why I don't use exceptions and recommend people to stay
away from exceptions is that exceptions in c++ is hard. You very easily
leak resources. There is no possibility to have compiler-checks that
specific exceptions are handled (think java's checked exceptions).
You can only emulate a try-finally thing with raii-structs, but that's
more bulky.
And c++-exceptions don't have stacktrace information.

I develop stuff at work sometimes in java, sometimes in c++ (often with
Qt) and enjoy using exceptions in java just as much as I avoid using
them in c++.

/Sune