List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The name of Applications 4.14 + 1
From:       Daniel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vr=E1til?= <dvratil () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-07-17 8:25:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 of July 2014 01:19:45 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi all, please let's keep future discussion in kde-promo since i think this
> is more a promo related thing than anything.
>
> A while ago we decided that 4.14 will be the last KDE 4 Applications release
> and that after that we would switch (at least for a while) to application
> releases where applications are either kdelibs4 based or KF5 based (on a
> tarball/repository level).
>
> Now we need a name for that thing.
>
>  * We can't call it 4.15 since the 4.x in there for everybody means based in
> kdelibs4.x
>
>  * We can't call it 5.x since the 5.x in there will make people think all
> apps are KF5.x based
>
>  * My suggestion is call it "KDE Applications $YEAR.$MONTH", i.e. if we keep
> with the 4 month schedule next release would be "KDE Applications 14.12"
> and next-next "KDE Applications 15.04". It has a small problem if we slip
> the release from one month to another the name changes, but we just have to
> plan all the releases early in the release month so that even if it slips
> it still falls inside the month.
>
>  * Another possibility would be "KDE Applications 1", that doesn't have the
> problem with the sliping release, but I have to say that I would feel quite
> weird calling our next applications release "KDE Applications 1" :D
>
> Anyone has another suggestion?
>
> Do we go with "KDE Applications $YEAR.$MONTH"?

Your suggestions seems to me like a potential problem for packages, since they
would have to handle upgrade path 4.14 -> (20)14.x -> 5.x (unless you are
suggesting to stick to YEAR.MONTH versioning for good, in that case please
ignore me).

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil@redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348