List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin PDF preview - strange behaviour
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-07 10:26:46

Hi,

> Frank, what does Dolphin use to preview things like JPEGs? If I correctly
> understand libkdegraphics-thumbnailers contains only stuff for PS/PDF and
> RAW images.

quite a few thumbnailers for images can be found in kde-runtime:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-runtime.git&a=tree&h=46a482891a2e3074ca3e8cc180ba76c315054359&hb=5f7dcf4eafeeff7b272c799c6bd7bddc2e57b8da&f=kioslave%2Fthumbnail

> if I would try to use poppler to get PDF thumbnails shall I hack this
> (unmaintained) package or is there a better place?

I think that making use of Poppler, rather than using gs, might indeed
have some benefits (like faster generation of previews), but I can't
really give good advice on what would be the best way to approach such
a project.

I hope that some readers of this list do have more in-depth Poppler,
gs and/or general thumbnailing experience than myself and can provide
some feedback. Alternatively, try to get in touch with the Okular
guys. They might also know who worked on the existing PS/PDF
thumbnailer (which hasn't seen many commits recently).

Best regards,
Frank