On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sune,

Thanks for replying, Sune.

On 30/06/2014, at 11:37 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2014-06-28, Ian Wadham <iandw.au@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When fixing some bugs in the KCrash-DrKonqi sequence on Apple OS X,
>> I have come to a point where Dr Konqi attempts to call kded4, using DBus,
>> and issues a message "Failed to communicate with kded. Make sure it is running."
>
> In the kdelibs4.x-age, yes. kded should be running all the time no matter what.

In Linux and a KDE desktop manager, that is fine: kded4 is part of the structure
of a KDE desktop manager.  But in Apple OS X (or other desktop managers), that
should not be a requirement, if KDE is to be truly portable.

Other desktop managers have their own ways of handling directory and file changes,
battery level updates, device mounts, software update registration or whatever.  So
maybe kded4 is not really needed at all on such platforms.

In particular, the absence of kded4 should not prevent a user from reporting
a crash in a KDE application on Apple OS X or any other desktop manager,
should it?  I don't think *anything* should prevent that… :-)

I do not think it is reasonable to ask the MacPorts developers to include
kded4 in startup procedures for every user, on the off chance that he or
she will use a KDE app sometime and that app will crash.

So I will proceed to patch around the requirement for kded4 in Dr Konqi in
Apple OS X, unless someone has a better idea or can point out some more
frequent and vital need for kded4 in a non-KDE desktop manager.

> Unfortunately, it isn't refcounting its users so it is running like forever.

Cheers, Ian W.

Yes, I agree that with portability in mind, requiring a kded running with some services kills the mood quite a bit.

Patches are welcome indeed, although I wonder whether it wouldn't be interesting to look into this on KF5 already, but maybe it just doesn't make a difference.

Aleix