List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Date/Time related widgets crashing plasma-desktop
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-24 0:00:41

On 24/06/2014, at 7:18 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 11:04:00 PM Thomas L=FCbking wrote:
>>> I tried plasmoidviewer and plasma-desktop with --nofork, but no =

>>> debug info for either.
>> =

>> You get the "No stack" output from
>> =

>>   gdb --args plasma-desktop --nofork
>> =

>> ???
>> No idea what could cause that (except "nofork" being broken - there'd be=
>> "Inferior process exited" message then)

This is just a wild thought, but is the crash going via the KCrash class?

I have found, on Apple OS X, that Dr Konqi hardly ever runs and so you do n=
ot
get a backtrace.  The reason is that KCrash itself crashes when it attempts=
close all possible file descriptors other than 0-2.  The Apple OS X library=
 has
some reserved internal FDs and a second crash (SIGILL) happens if those FDs
are closed at this time.  Then KCrash breaks its recursion limit and Dr Kon=
qi
does not get run.  That fact gets reported on stderr.

Maybe Plasma has acquired some private FDs now(?).  Or something else that
could cause a secondary crash(?).

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. If that is the problem, I have a patch.