List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Coinstallability for kfilemetadata and baloo
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2014-05-21 11:47:15

On Monday, May 19, 2014 07:48:50 PM Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are currently working on packaging Plasma-Next for our distribution as
> I'm sure many do. Obviously, there are some issues to work out.
> Where it gets a bit tricky is baloo and its dependencies. It's not a strict
> requirement for a basic desktop, but seemsto be necessary to get krunner
> working which I think many users want.
> kfilemetadata can easily be patched (see below) to be installed side-by-side
> with the KDE4-based version. It uses some KF5-related naming schemes
> already, the patch just expands this. Not sure if it'll get a "real"
> framework at some point, but if so, then the changes would merely mean to
> do this upfront.

It will become a framework. I'll look more into your patch.

> However, I'm not sure what to do about baloo (btw, is there a
> topic-specificlist?). Of course, we could just install it to a different
> prefix, but we'd like to avoid that. So before making bigger changes to
> baloo, I'd like to ask if there are plans to make this coinstallable with
> the KDE4-based version?It's not listed in [1-2].

Split Baloo up based on the directory stuff -

src/core - Library - Coinstallable
src/file/lib/ - Libraries that can be coinstalled
src/file/ - Binaries - Qt5 ones replace the Qt4 ones
src/kioslaves - Co-installable
src/runner - Coinstallable
src/tools - binaries. Qt5 ones can replace the Qt4 ones
src/xapian - Library - co-installable
src/pim - Not compiled in KF5, it will be split out.

--
Vishesh Handa