List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE applications 4.14 LTS or 4.15?
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 12:06:57

Hi,

> El Dimarts, 29 d'abril de 2014, a les 18:13:20, Mario Fux va escriure:
>> Am Samstag, 26. April 2014, 16.48:22 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
>>
>> Morning Kevin

>> > I am not sure I understood this correctly.
>> > The proposal is to end 4.x SC releases at 4.14 and either not do any SC
>> > until all applications have been ported or discontinue the SC releases
>> > alltogether?
>>
>> I think mostly the later as it's not clear if there will be another SC. See
>> for this the emails on kde-community.
>
> There won't be an SC in KF5-land since SC was Applications+Platform+Workspace,
> and both Applications and Platform^wFrameworks have decided to go their own
> way with schedules.
>
> That doesn't mean there won't be "KDE Applications" coordinated releases, no?
> And I don't see any of your emails to kde-community adress that.

I would prefer to still have "KDE Applications" coordinated releases
in the future. Having a certain number of KDE apps released on the
same day will raise much more attention in the media than releases of
individual apps. Moreover, I think it's unrealistic that every
application has enough manpower to take care of its own release
management. I am very grateful for the fantastic job that some release
team members do every month for all parts of the KDE SC.

>> But this email is mostly about if we should stop KDE applications releases
>> with 4.14 (stop feature development I mean) and make a LTS release out if it
>> (likewise to the KDE Workspaces/Plasma did with 4.11.x till August 2015) or
>> if we want more feature development in the KDE Applications with Qt4 and
>> KDE Platform 4 and thus target a 4.15 release.
>
> I honestly don't think you can decouple the discussion of KF5 versions of apps
> and its release schedule from the question of what is going to happen with 4.x
> releases.
>
> If you tell me that the first "KDE Applications based in KF5" is going to be
> in two years because people don't have time to port, i obviously want 4.15,
> 4.16 and more, if you tell me it's going to be in a year, i have different
> opinion.

This is a very good point. Right now, application developers have the
chance to ship new versions with non-trivial changes every 4-6 months,
and thus users never have to wait extremely long until they get, e.g.,
non-trivial changes that fix complex bugs, and I think that this a
very good thing. Therefore, I would not like to see a very long break
between the "last 4.x" and the "first KF5-based" release, and for most
non-workspace parts of KDE, such a break is probably not necessary.

Therefore, at least for me, the answer to the question "what/when
should the last 4.x release be" depends strongly on the question "when
will the first KF5-based applications release be".

> Anyway I still think we should mix&match as I proposed in the other email.

This sounds like a good idea, because it might be unrealistic that all
applications are ported at the same pace.

Best regards
Frank