List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-24 13:54:57

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 06:34:45 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 04:25:31 PM Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> > Vishesh described a perfectly legitimate approach and you're hounding him
> > because your particular corner case was not considered as important as
> > what
> > is considered the common use cases. The feature is on by default, can be
> > turned off through the UI,
>
> No it cannot.
>
> Look at Vishesh's blog post on the subject:
>
> http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/desktop-search-configuration/
>
> 781 replies, all asking for the option to disable indexing to be restored,
> most polite, some of them quite incensed that they are being forced to use
> it.
>
> Vishesh is enforcing his idea of a workflow on users. Thats arrogant.

Correction: Vishesh refuses to implement every feature that some vocal people
might want.

I haven't re-read every comment, but I'm staggered that a lot of people have a
strong opinion and no problem to rudely demand their wishes fulfilled, yet
nobody just opens an editor and comes up with an advanced Baloo setup UI.
That's something that can be done within the timeframe of one day, as it
really only needs to write a config file and perhaps do a few dbus calls. It's
the easiest kind of thing one can imagine.

Why Vishesh has to do all that to your liking escapes me. This is Free
software, go and fix it if it annoys you so much. Don't destroy the motivation
of one of our core developers by meeting him with unreasonable requests
presented in an unbecoming fashion.

Cheers,
--
sebas