List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-22 8:54:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday, 2014-04-21, 20:28:36, Vishesh Handa wrote:

>  Hell, maybe all file indexing should just be disabled by default.

I was thinking about that as well, in a larger context than just indexing.

I.e. I was thinking if we could come up with a general UI concept of hinting
that a feature is disabled but can be enabled.

Currently we most often only show enabled/disabled via the respective widget
property, but it would often be benefitial to indicate that this is not
because of something impossible in the current context but as a result of a
choice elsewhere.

For example in the context of search a disabled indexer would lead to zero
results, so a search UI would probably be shown as disabled.
In a kind of tri-state fashion it could indicate "not available on your own
request".

Ultimately this could even hint at something optional not having been
installed yet.

Anyway, until such a time, would it be possible to find interaction points
which could detect the state and offer to turn things on?
I vaguely remember that Explorer on Windows suggesting to me to enable
indexing for a directory I triggered a search in.

Basically whitelisting from within the search interface

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring