List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-22 8:38:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday, 2014-04-22, 08:10:37, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 05:57:51 PM Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> > They do. They can be turned off via the UI,
> >
> > >Nope.
> > >ok, no longer worth having a discussion if you can't muster a better
>
> response than this
>
> I was referring to the UI as is. I'm glad that Vishesh is considering adding
> an option for disabling it, but not there yet.
>
> And there are no options for customising the default file type exclusions in
> the UI, that means they are not defaults, but effectively hard coded.
>
> Nor for setting up a white list - Vishesh has point blank ruled that out.
> Apparently users do not need that level of configuration.

Hmm, what about an additional UI?
As far as I know there is no enforces one-to-one mapping of KCM and
service/config file, basically any KCM can change any config.

If we had an alternative KCM that exposes more features of the underlying
config then OSVs and/or sysadmins could decide which one (or both) would show
up in systemsettings depending on their users' needs.

It also makes it great for user support when one can have a
kcmshell4 something
command which will open advanced settings for people who need it without
having to fall back to giving instructions how to manually edit a file.

Eventually the simple KCM could even gain a button or similar to show the
advanced UI on demand.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring