List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Nathan Bradshaw <nathanlbradshaw () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-21 21:25:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 04:44:33 PM Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> > yes it can. remove $home and it is turned off.
>
> And for a number of people it doesn't. And yes this is a bug, which no
> doubt
> will be fixed. But this is also why you give people options and overrides -
> bugs happen and its arrogant to assume they won't.

why do you think a checkbox linked to the deactivation functionality would
be different to it being triggered by removing $home? You keep using the
word arrogant and either you don't know what it means or you're now trying
to attack straw men because of course no one in this thread assumed bugs
wouldn't happen.

> > also, Vishesh has already
> > said in this thread that he will re-add an enable/disable button to the
> > Vishesh is writing
> > code and releasing it under a free software license, you are trying to
> > badger him on him a mailing list to force your opinion on him. That is
> > arrogant, rude, demotivating, non-contributing and whole slew of other
> > negative stuff
>
> This is a  developer list where these things are meant to be discussed.

There is a difference between discussion and what your behavior has turned
into

> Vishesh think everyone should be using full content indexing should be
> ubiquitous. A number of people disagree and have good reasons for this.

and can turn it off, in the UI, in config files, can uninstall it if their
distro packages accordingly and modify the code themselves, can choose a
distro that doesn't install it by default.... There has to be a default;
you're attacking the developer because that default doesn't suite your whims

> I use baloo a lot, and am quite impressed with it, especially in kmail,
> which
> was dogged by atrocious nepomuk performance for years, its been a
> remarkable
> turnaround there.

So maybe treat its developers with a little dignity and respect?

> The new KCM has holes in it - I've logged a bug for cases where data can't
> be
> indexed due to the blacklist approach. I've got a week off coming up - I'll
> spend some time writing an alternate KCM myself and see how that works out.

yay, so after all this you've finally realized that contribution is the
appropriate approach; this is a win for all concerned. I can't help but
note that I hope you don't end up with users who treat you the same as
you've treated others.

> But this attitude of removing options that were in use because one person
> thinks no one should need them, of making a major module non optional, of
> asking "why wouldn't everyone want to index their data" - it gets peoples
> backs up, it smacks of the gnome developers attitude and could be a PR
> mess.

Again, with the straw men. to quote Vishesh's blog "**We** would like to
promote the use of...." (my emphasis). No suggestion except by you that
this is one person's thinking on the subject.