List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Scott Kitterman <kde () kitterman ! com>
Date:       2014-04-21 20:57:14

On Monday, April 21, 2014 21:20:49 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Monday, April 21, 2014 03:54:34 PM Roney Gomes wrote:
> > Em seg 21 abr 2014, =E0s 20:19:30, Vishesh Handa escreveu:
> > > What's the name of the process? If it's baloo_file_cleaner, then that=
's
> > > probably cause it's removing all the index.
> > =

> > The process is akonadi_baloo_indexer. When I said Baloo is consuming CPU
> > time I meant to say that it's still being executed, not that it's
> > stressing
> > my processor.
> > =

> > When indexing is off everything comes back to normal, though the process
> > is still there.
> =

> Oh.
> =

> I guess the blog post or documentation does not make it obvious that the =
PIM
> part is now completely separate from the file part. The current KCM only
> controls the File part. (As intended)
> =

> I don't really like the idea of giving users the ability to control the P=
IM
> indexing because so many features break. Eg - contact completion and the
> filter search bar in KMail. Also, from 4.14. (if I get the time),
> conversation grouping will also break unless emails are indexed.

I'm certainly finding Baloo much more pleasant than I did Nepomuk, so thank=
s =

for that.  I find the KMail searching fast and useful and I no longer notic=
e my =

system getting bogged down with indexing all the time.

That said, there were times with Nepomuk that I would have gladly forgone a=
ll =

the functionality you describe to get my system back in a responsive state.=
  =

While Baloo is a huge improvement from my point of view, I've no doubt you'=
ll =

get people who want it off.  I think it would be a reasonable design choice=
 to =

give the option to disable it on KMail too, but make it explicit what that =

will cause.

Scott K