List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Roney Gomes <roney477 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-21 15:32:55

Em seg 21 abr 2014, Ã s 16:53:16, Michael Jansen escreveu:
> > This has been discussed in detail at
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139606131629659&w=2 . tl;dr - There
> > won't be an option to disable Baloo or an include list. Baloo might
> > however
> > show list of currently indexed dirs.
>
> I really hope they reconsider.

Me too.

As a user, my experience with KDE has been extremely positive. This happens
because although the whole system offers lots of good features through all its
apps it also offers me the posibility to tweak it at my will. I can enable and
disable most of its resources and thus define a workflow that's more
consistent with my style. I appreciate that kind of freedom.

However, it was never the case with Nepomuk and it's also not with Baloo. A
few weeks ago a user came to the kde-games mailing list complaining that he
had to install more than 1GB of dependencies (including Nepomuk) just to have
one of our games running on his computer.

What a small game has to do with Nepomuk? Nothing. We're forcing users to
install software they don't need and thus won't use. I see this as an
authoritarian attitude from our side.

I understand Nepomuk is gone so my argument doesn't make much sense now.
However, I believe the same thing is happenning with Baloo. Since I added my
home folder to its blacklist, why it's still there consuming my computer's
memory and CPU time?

Replying to Albert: If I had the freedom to uninstall Baloo, I would. But
that's not possible since Baloo is not something optional, it's extremely tied
to the system's core. If uninstall it the whole system breaks. If we're going
to ask our users to stop using KDE just because they don't want to use Baloo
then somethings is wrong with our goals.

Last, it has been said here that Baloo has better performance than Nepomuk.
That was not what I experienced -- nor me neither other users that came asking
for help on IRC. The general recommendation was to blacklist the home folder
if you wanted to recover your system from the sudden slowness affecting the
system after the 4.13 update.

Roney