List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Baloo Indexer and options
From:       Michael Jansen <info () michael-jansen ! biz>
Date:       2014-04-21 14:53:16

> This has been discussed in detail at
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139606131629659&w=2 . tl;dr - There
> won't be an option to disable Baloo or an include list. Baloo might however
> show list of currently indexed dirs.

I really hope they reconsider.

I was always a fan of nepomuk. Used it all the time. Improved it with small
patches and quite some patches for crashes. Worked with them on performance
issues. This is the first time i consider disabling it completely myself.

Because it seems its going in a direction that completely breaks my style of
work. And puts me into potential legal troubles.

I mount devices and network storage INTO my home directory. Sometimes by
putting the mount point into my home directory, sometimes by symlinking it
into my home directory. I create a LOT of directories directly in my home
directory I DO NOT WANT TO BE INDEXED AT ALL. And don't insult me by telling
me to blacklist each and every directory i create there manually or change my
workflow. If i don't get a whitelist this stuff is useless for me. Why?

Because some of that stuff has to do with work. I signed confidentially clauses,
some of that stuff is encrypted normally and i don't want to have it indexed at
any point. if i can't be sure it does not i can't use it and i won't.

If the trend continues i have to stop using kde because of work issues.
Kontact already is unable to work with encrypted emails because of a signature
problem. Now baloo insists on deciding for me that i want to index everything
just because it is fast enough to do it without me noticing (or so they say)
and does not offer me a way to really control what it indexes or at least
disable itself completely to adhere to contracts i signed.

Sorry guys. Wrong direction.

Mike