List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling baloo-integration possible?
From:       mk-lists () email ! de
Date:       2014-04-09 22:08:42

Hi Albert,

On 09 Apr 2014, at 22:28 , Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> No, it is not, if we had to do user support in this list it would get cro=
wded =

I got it.

> So you are a packager, ok, the it's not user support and I guess it is ki=
nd on =

> topic. If you had given all the information on the beginning it would hav=
e =

> been better :)
It=92s okay. I got PM from Mario clarifying things.

I am maintaining KMyMoney on MacPorts and because of it I of course also tr=
y to keep KDE afloat on OSX/MacPorts. I am NOT the main KDE maintainer ther=
e, but I know that many OSX users do not need another indexing service due =
to the existence of Spotlight (which is Apple=92s baloo).
I personally mostly don=92t need any indexer, except that I am forced by my=
 email program Mail.app to enable Spotlight for detailed searching features=
 in emails.

> You are asking if you can compile stuff without baloo. You don't need to =
be a =

> "KDE developer" to try that. Have you tried?
No, because I am not yet able to build anything else than the 4.12.4 (which=
 my machine could successfully finish only just now) I cannot test the 4.13.

> 1) not install baloo at all
> Of course, you're free to not install baloo
OK, but with the problems Frank already described...

> 2) configure KDE and all relevant apps in such a way that they don=92t ex=
pect =

> any services from baloo
> What is "KDE=94? =

:) You are right, I meant kdelibs there. But thanks to Frank I already unde=
rstood that kdelibs itself doesn=92t need baloo after all.

> Simply replace baloo with libjpeg and the answers will be the same.
So, ok, as I wrote in my reply to Frank: I should preferably simply use Vis=
hesh=92s suggestion and modify baloo=92s configuration file.

Greets,
Marko