List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Systems Settings - Desktop Search
From:       Shantanu Tushar Jha <shantanu () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-31 4:34:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> El Dilluns, 31 de març de 2014, a les 07:27:38, Lindsay Mathieson va
> escriure:
> > >
> > > This is not a very good sentence to be honest. You shouldn't be using a
> > > computer at all if you don't like automagic stuff.
> >
> > ha ha.
> >
> > Automagic refers to software that tries to guess whats best for you. This
> > can never be done and just leads to user frustration, especially if you
> > have no way of overriding it.
>
> Which from reading all of the thread I understand you have, it may not be
> the
> exact way you would like to override stuff but it can be done.

Albert,

Have you actually tried the configuration that we are talking about here?
Its really hard to understand this problem without actually experiencing it.

> > I expect stuff like this from Apple or
> > Microsoft.
>
> He he, do you really think dropping these names makes you win the argument?
> Hint, it doesn't.

It might sound funny to you (and he missed GNOME in the list), but I will
agree with him here. As I have noted earlier, people use KDE because they
can configure* their system to work as they want it to. That is one of the
reasons I personally use KDE, from a user's point of view.

* using UI, not config files

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> > KDE is about giving users options, not taking them away.

> unsubscribe <<

@Everyone,

In any case, I have two screenshots - [1] shows the config detecting one of
my extra drives that it is not including by default. If I want it to be
indexed, I remove it from the list which gives you [2]. Now, looking at
this UI, there is no indication what is being indexed - let alone the
possibility of selecting what needs to be indexed.

I appreciate the fact that we're trying to make our software smarter and
better, which is great. However, even if it is possible to achieve a near
100% perfect algorithm to show me exactly what search results I want, I am
sure the first version of Baloo isn't there yet (Vishesh, correct me if I
am wrong). So while we are not there, can we avoid frustrating the user?

Another thing that has been said is that this is because people are having
this concern are too used to Nepomuk. Well, isn't that exactly what is
going to happen with every regular user? The whole reason I'm spending time
on this is because I am already imagining blog posts from frustrated users
- that brings back the memories of the Nepomuk (KDE<4.10) times all over
again.

[1] http://i.imgur.com/bfzMkhm.png
[2] http://i.imgur.com/5lDLNcd.png

Cheers,