List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Systems Settings - Desktop Search
From:       Vishesh Handa <vhanda () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-30 22:11:24

On Monday, March 31, 2014 07:16:13 AM Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> Why are you so intent on telling us what we should be indexing? what is
> wrong with giving the user choice?

Nepomuk was never just about "searching". It was also about applications
getting built on top of it in order to leverage the information that it has. I
would like Baloo to be similar.

Having everything indexed means that other application such as your photo
viewer, media player, video player, etc can leverage this information.

Additionally, as previously stated, I don't think users should have to care
about what is being indexed and what is not. That's a remnant from the Nepomuk
days where stuff was too slow. I believe that we should be good enough to
accurately determine what the user is looking for and show those results.

And finally, the users still have a choice, I'm just not giving them the fine
grained control that you want *by default*. The backend still supports all
these features. You're more than welcome to write a UI to configure them or ask
some other developers to.

--
Vishesh Handa