List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Missing application icons of many KDE apps on MacPorts/OSX
From:       mk-lists () email ! de
Date:       2014-03-22 18:39:02

[ I am cross-posting this also to KMyMoney=92s and KDevelop=92s mailing lis=
ts, because I hope for some synergy (see the example at the bottom of this =
post). ]

Hi devs,

I know, the following might not be a very pressing one, but it is a long-st=
anding issue on MacPorts [1]

Many KDE applications are not showing their application icon correctly. For=
 visual people it can be a show-stopper, which is why I want to bring it up=
 on KDE-DEVEL.

Here in my MacPorts installation I have in KDE 4.12.2 in total 55 KDE appli=
cations listed in /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/.

ONLY 11 of these 55 actually show a proper application icon. (I could post =
a screenshot somewhere, in case of need.)

Well, the apps which are able to supply an application icon are:
	dolphin.app
	kapptemplate.app
	kfind.app
	khelpcenter.app
	kmymoney.app
	kompare.app
	kuiviewer.app
	kwrite.app
	lokalize.app
	okteta.app
	umbrello.app

Of the remaining 55 there are certainly some which belong to applications w=
hich are only launchers for something or helper apps, but some are certainl=
y normal applications which should be supplying an icon. I consider the fol=
lowing as such:
	cervisia.app
	kate.app
	kdenlive.app
	kdevelop.app
	konqueror.app

An example:
-----------------

KMyMoney obviously does something differently compared to KDevelop, since t=
he latter is on MacOSX/MacPorts NOT ABLE to deliver the application icon to=
 OSX=92 finder and dock.

If one has added KDevelop to OSX=92 dock, one can actually see only a gener=
ic Xcode-application-icon for KDevelop as long as it is not started.

Once you start up KDevelop you=92ll see that the icon immediately switches =
to the correct one.

As soon as KDevelop is closed the icon reverts back to the generic one.

However, KMyMoney does NOT do such a dance!

Any ideas what could be the reason?

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/27931