List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC proposal : Sharing Metadata Between Multimedia Applications Using Baloo
From:       Denis Steckelmacher <steckdenis () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2014-03-20 20:42:19

On 03/20/2014 11:00 AM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey Denis
>
> I spoke with some other developers regarding what you could do -
>
> 1. The "Enhanced Search Dialog" in KMail. I know it's not strictly Baloo work,
> and it's more UI work than anything else.

I've read the entry of the KDE's Idea Page, and it sounds interesting
and useful to the users, but would it fill three months of full-time work?

> 2. Improving the Baloo integration -
> 	2.1 Firefox / Chrome support - Now that we only rely on xattr, getting
> this support in browsers should be fairly simple.
>
> 	2.2 We need Indexers for the following -
> 		* Events in Akonadi
> 		* Akregator2
>
> 	2.3 Zeitgiest Support - I'm not sure what the status of the zeitgeist
> project is but we definitely want some way to access file related statistics.
> This could get quite deep into Baloo code since we need to sort the search
> results based on these statistics, and this needs to be done in a way that is
> very fast.

My experience with Firefox and Chrome (I developed Nepomuk integration
plugins for them last summer) is that xattrs are not exposed through the
Javascript API of these browsers (but Konqueror is able to write
xattrs). The solution I used was to create temporary files that got
indexed by nepomukindex. These files contained the data I wanted to have
indexed (this file was downloaded from there, the user visited this
page, this page was added to the bookmarks, etc)

Does Baloo have such a daemon that could be used for that? The browsers
can also communicate with an HTTP server, but I think it would be a bit
overkill to implement an HTTP server in Baloo just to index what happens
in the browser.

The other ideas are interesting. In fact, what interests me the most in
these Baloo projects is that they would be very useful for the users and
KDE as a whole. I proposed a KDevelop-oriented idea, and it is immensely
interesting on a technical point of view, but Baloo is used by far more
people.

Do you think it could be a good idea that I rewrite my proposal as
"Integrating Baloo with the outer world", each of the twelve weeks being
dedicated to the integration of Baloo to something? Here is a list of
integrations that come to mind:

* A mean to get information from the browsers, and using xattrs in Konqueror
* Firefox (the extension is already quite usable)
* Chrome (I don't have yet any extension for it)
* Akonadi Events indexer
* Akregator
* Using tags to handle playlists in Juk
* Tags and notes on Plasma Media Center
* Amarok (notes, and automatically tagging a file added to a collection
with the corresponding tag, so that Juk can see Amarok collections)
* Digikam (someone told me that Digikam is still a heavy user of
Nepomuk). Several weeks may be needed for that
* Nepomuk-webindexers still interests me and provides interesting features

If more applications need to be ported, this GSoC may be the occasion to
do so.

> I know that you only have 2 days, but given that you are a rockstar coder, I
> think you can manage. Ping me on IRC / Hangouts and lets talk more? (I know
> you hate chat :P)

I was on #kde-devel this afternoon, but you were away. I will try to
connect tomorrow at 11am GMT+1 (I will stay for about two hours, after
that I will have to go). My nickname is steckdenis.