List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [GSoC 2014] Enhanced Searching in KMail
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2014-03-20 9:41:07

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:29:36 AM Janardhan Reddy wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Janardhan
> I am A Janardhan Reddy, currently studying final year at IIT Madras. I was
> a gsoc student for digikam in 2012. I liked the idea of enhanced searching
> in kmail. I have compiled and set up kmail.
> I was wondering if i someone could provide some starting point to write
> proposal. I have done a course on information retrieval.

As a starting point it would be best if you first did the following -

1. Solved some bugs in Baloo - There are some very simple tasks on Bugzilla
regarding the MetadataMover.

2. Have a look at the existing KMail search dialog, how it works and how
akonadi hooks up to Baloo. Also, lookup the Email Indexing code.

Once you have a basic understanding of the following, then it would be a good
time to start with the proposal. You can search for proposals from previous
years to get a good idea of what a proposal should look like.

--
Vishesh Handa