List:       kde-devel
Subject:    StatusNotifier question
From:       Damian Ivanov <damianatorrpm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-03-17 10:31:57

Hello people,

Maybe a stupid question about the StatusNotifier's:
Right now I find that it's not widely used, in Plasma-next we would
have StatusNotifiier's from KDE (like thw HW notifier or  battery) and
the one external
applications register (if skype & co. adapt statusnotifier), correct?

> Each application can register an arbitrary number of Status Notifier Items by \
> registering on the >session bus the service \
> org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem-PID-ID, where PID is the process >id of the \
> application and ID is an arbitrary numeric unique identifier between different \
> instances >registered by the same application.
So which application would "own " the KDE StatusNotifier's? Are they standalone?
Is it required do run e.g plasma-shell so these StatusNotifier's are registered?
I've seen that external to kde apps have status notifier plugins like glx-dock,
will they only show the non-kde status-notfiers? Is there anything
more required than dbus to implement a statusNotifier tray?

Thanks very much in advance!
Damian