List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What to test for 4.13?
From:       Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-16 16:53:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 16 March 2014 13:56:01 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Marko,
>
> On Sunday, 2014-03-16, 13:23:35, mk-lists@email.de wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,

> > > Right. Doesn't apply to KDE software but certainly the right thing to do
> > > in
> > > the wider scope.
> >
> > Hmm, it does apply also to KDE software, since it may use a library which
> > isn't permitting binary-only distribution.
>
> I find this hard to believe. That would mean this is a KDE application that
> is not available on Linux distributions.

> > > Any idea why? Most applications should not have any X11 dependency,
> > > those
> > > available on Windows definitely don't.
> >
> > Well, good question!
> > Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to answer this easily now.
>
> I have no clue about that either but my naive approach would have been to
> check the build input files for Windows branches and check if the deviation
> is something compiler specific (or similar like paths), or non-X11 platform
> stuff.
>
> Also the recent porting efforts to Wayland should help there as well since
> it is another non-X11 platform.

If there is a dependency on X11 in a library or an application which is not
targeting X11 this is clearly a bug in the build system and we certainly
accept bug reports for it and in the case of frameworks started to CI-test
that the framework can be compiled without X11 support.

The pattern in our build system is to try to find X11 and then it gets compiled
with X11 support. This is basically our platform check. If the platform has
X11 but is not intended to be used with X11 please make sure to disable X11
through cmake command line switches.

Cheers
Martin, member of the X11 removal team :-P