List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What to test for 4.13?
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-16 12:56:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Marko,

On Sunday, 2014-03-16, 13:23:35, mk-lists@email.de wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 16 Mar 2014, at 11:07 , Kevin Krammer <krammer@kde.org> wrote:

> >> Also one has to point out that MacPorts DELIBERATELY does not distribute
> >> port binaries which use code with a licence which isn't allowing binary
> >> distribution. This is good and considerate design in my eyes.
> >
> > Right. Doesn't apply to KDE software but certainly the right thing to do
> > in
> > the wider scope.
>
> Hmm, it does apply also to KDE software, since it may use a library which
> isn't permitting binary-only distribution.

I find this hard to believe. That would mean this is a KDE application that is
not available on Linux distributions.

> >> Yes, it's hugely difficult to get KDE applications to build without any
> >> X11
> >> deps.
> >
> > Any idea why? Most applications should not have any X11 dependency, those
> > available on Windows definitely don't.
>
> Well, good question!
> Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to answer this easily now.

I have no clue about that either but my naive approach would have been to
check the build input files for Windows branches and check if the deviation is
something compiler specific (or similar like paths), or non-X11 platform
stuff.

Also the recent porting efforts to Wayland should help there as well since it
is another non-X11 platform.

> Your system gets updated whenever a port maintainer decides to commit an
> updated portfile. So, one does not need to worry about how to deinstall old
> software versions from the depths of your iMac's file system, but instead
> can sit back and rely on MacPorts' logic to keep everything up-to-date,
> which generally works fine and with very little interactive user action.
> The plus is that you usually have stable and up-to-date software installed.
>
> For KMyMoney 4.6 - for instance - there are two ports kmymoney4 and
> kmymoney4-devel. The first is always the latest release version, whereas
> the devel port distributes a version which I try to keep as close as
> possible to its git's HEAD version, i.e. is always bleeding edge. The user
> decides what she/he wants.

Nice!

> And thanks to the buildbots the MacPorts infrastructure can make sure that a
> a new version of any committed portfile will always be build immediately
> and thus explicitly verify for all four supported versions of MacOSX that
> the port binaries can be build just fine. THAT is very close to CI, isn't
> it?!

Are the build results published somewhere? A website or mailinglist one can
subscribe to?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring