On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Ian Wadham wrote: > Hi Ben, Hi Ian, > > On 13/03/2014, at 7:15 AM, Ben Cooksley wrote: >> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM, John Layt wrote: >>> What to do at the KDE end? >>> >>> We have a wiki at http://community.kde.org/Mac that we need to keep >>> updated as things change, as that is where mac.kde.org redirects. We >>> also have the forum at http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=60, but >>> for devs please use the list at >>> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-mac. I can't emphasise >>> enough: if everyone who's doing stuff with KDE-on-Mac were to talk to >>> each other there, there would be a lot less work needed! >>> >>> Qt5/KF5 may improve things, but we still need to build infrastructure >>> to support Mac. >>> >>> We need CI Mac builds to test KF5 stuff and prevent Linuxisms and >>> build breakers from creeping in over time, e.g. to ensure the creation >>> of Mac Frameworks (a special type of library) works as you need to >>> follow strict include rules that Linux or Windows don't need. It's >>> part of our "KF5 everywhere Qt is" strategy. Advanced Mac platform >>> integration will also need CI builds to check they don't get broken by >>> Linux-focussed devs :-) >> >> In terms of the bare minimum requirements of the CI system itself (not >> taking into account anything being built) the following is needed. >> I'm assuming it is all available? >> >> - Java (either Oracle or IcedTea) >> - Python (with lxml support) >> - RSync >> - SSH >> - Git >> - Subversion >> - Bazaar > > I think all of those are available. Attached is a summary of search > results for "bazaar" and "lxml", on the latest Macports index. More > detail on any of those packages can be provided by "port info" if > you need it. I have certainly used git and Subversion on > Mac OS X to maintain and check in my code. I am also using > Java and mysql to run a business administration app that was > developed by a friend of mine on Windows. Okay, excellent. > >> Please note that if we do purchase such systems then we need to find a >> place to host them - and someone to look after them should they need >> to be moved or require hardware maintenance (disk failures, etc). >> Ideally we would hire them from a DC which offers that. > > I do not think they would need much hosting. Each Mac Mini is only > about the size of 3 or 4 CD cases. The network connections would be > another matter. Apple support at the Apple Store for Macs, MacBooks, > iPads and iPhones is excellent, and free. I am amazed how much > time they are prepared to spend with my wife and me without any > complaining ... For a Mac Mini you might need to hook into the > "Genius Bar" guys though ... :-) We'll await the results of the Macports collaboration thread before continuing further. Ideally though the datacenter operator would look after the hardware aspect - this has worked very well for us with Hetzner and our Linux systems. > > You might also like to look at the new Mac Pro, which is more > expensive but extremely powerful (Intel Xeon). It is cylindrical with > a hole in the top. You'd just have to be careful nobody pours their > coffee into it ... :-) > > Cheers, Ian W. Regards, Ben > > > > > > >>> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe << > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<