List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What to test for 4.13?
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-14 8:09:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Ian,

On Friday, 2014-03-14, 12:15:39, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 13/03/2014, at 12:19 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2014-03-11, 14:05:02, Ian Wadham wrote:
> >> I am chiefly concerned about *integration* issues between certain
> >> KDE apps and the KDE desktop --- which of course is not present
> >> when you are running Apple OS X. I believe that, once they are fixed,
> >> these issues will stay fixed until there is some major re-design of KDE
> >> or Apple OS X.  I base that opinion on direct experience with UNIX,
> >> other O/S's and desktops, at the sysadmin and maintenance level,
> >> before I retired from the workforce.
> >
> > I am not sure how many KDE applications have any integration needs with
> > the
> > KDE desktop, but I would guess only very few.
> > Most apps run fine in GNOME or other Linux desktops, quite a lot are also
> > avaiable from the KDE Windows initiative.
>
> That is a useful piece of the puzzle.  I was just wondering what the
> situation is on Gnome, which I presume does not run the "startkde" script …
> :-)

Right, startkde is only run for launching a KDE workspace session.
The applications don't need anything from there.

> I should have been more precise.  For "KDE desktop", please read
> "KDE desktop infrastructure", by which I mean any settings or background
> processes or dependencies of those kinds (e.g. DBus) that are commonly
> used within the KDE desktop and can be used indirectly by applications via
> classes in KDE or Qt libraries.  It might also include procedures that are
> hidden from the direct view of the KDE application writer, such as loaders
> and caches.

Well, D-Bus is launched, on Linux, by the general session setup. Maybe OSX has
something that allows to autostart services when a user logs in.

All the other things relevant to an application are started by KDE library
code, nothing the application developer needs to handle exlicitly.
Hence KDE application working in other environments such as GNOME.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring