List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Tabs integration into KWin
From:       David Heidelberger <david.heidelberger () ixit ! cz>
Date:       2014-03-06 13:00:50

Hello,

I'm user of many tabbed aplications, as Konsole, Konverzation, Rekonq.

These days I started wondering, if I should stop using tabs, because
many disadvantages. Actual situation, is that when you open 10 tabs in
Konsole, KWin doesn't have any control or information about it, which I
consider as disadvantage (taskbar missing entries, Expose-like effect
can't unfold them).

On IRC, Martin Gräßlin pointed me to
https://community.kde.org/KWin/Browser_Integration which was created for
Rekonq integration, but I feel even other applications can benefit from
it.

So, my idea is bring API for tabs, which will allow:
1) switch to concrete application tab
2) this should allow to disable switching tabs inside application, KWin
could handle this. This also should allow hide ugly tab bars and use
them directly from plasma/taskswitcher)
3) show pixmap for use as miniature

I'm also ready to give hand on development to have chance to make it
into KF5!

Thank you
David