List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Keyboard shortcut enhancement.
From:       Michael Jansen <info () michael-jansen ! biz>
Date:       2014-02-14 16:20:44

On Friday 14 February 2014 13:46:55 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Freitag, 14. Februar 2014 schrieb Andreas Pakulat :
> > In particular I'm using it to start my preferred browser and to control
>
> my preferred mp3 player. The latter is a cli-tool so it has no global
> shortcuts support but it has invocations which talk to the running instance
> and can do play, pause etc.
>
> > That part of khotkeys has been working for me from KDE 4.2 up until now
>
> (4.11 here), so no idea why it is considered to be 'broken'.
>
> I think, the only part severely "broken" is triggering random input events.
>
> On non non-focused windows that requires xsendevent (for kbd input at
> least) which noeadays seem largely ignored by clients. This might be
> different with wayland (ability to discriminate a synthetic event in
> general?), but i guess it's a security concern.?.
>
> An alternative might be a GUI for xbindkeys and a resp. wayland pendant (if
> such exists), but i guess kglobalaccel would have to be moved to such
> backend in general.

Ok ... i now notice i should have been much clearer. So here the email i
should have sent the first time.

khotkeys is a mixed bag. We have

Global Shortcuts
==========

These can not go. They are relied upon for example by kmenuedit to set
shortcuts for applications. This functionality could be incorporated into
kglobalaccel and that was the last thing on my to do list before life made me
leave real kde contributing behind. I mean here global key press -> Start an
app. What to do with key press -> (make a dbus call/send keyboard input) has
to be discussed.

Mouse Gesture Action
=============

Its kinda unmaintained but still kinda works. There are certain bugs that make
random stuff in other apps fail if mouse gesture is enabled. There are some
bugs on bugs.kde.org. There are a lot of wishes on bugs.kde.org.

There is a great standalone alternative called easystroke. Perhaps the effort
should go into making easystroke a first class citizen on kde instead of
maintaining our own halb broken implementation.

The biggest problem is that mouse gestures should belong into a application
like shortcuts and should not be global. There were some effort at making qt
support mouse gestures (like key triggers) but i don't think they gone
anywhere. khotkeys is so complicated and able to break other apps because it
does quite some global x key event listening and replaying while trying to
determine if the app that has focus has active mouse gestures and if there is
currently a gesture being made.

Window Trigger Action

This is more or less broken since kde4 afaik (never used it myself). This is
the first candidate to go.

In KDE3 khotkeys was much more capable but the same mess as today usability
and gui wise.

Mike