List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Keyboard shortcut enhancement.
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2014-02-14 7:52:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley@kde.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Martin Gr=E4=DFlin <mgraesslin@kde.org>
> wrote:
> > On Friday 14 February 2014 04:19:04 Michael Jansen wrote:
> >> I am btw not really sure khotkeys should still be part of kde5. its
> broken,
> >> never really reached kde4 anyway and both lubos and i don't work on it
> >> anymore. And it failed to attract anyone else.
> >
> > Thanks for letting us know. I ported it over to frameworks but to be
> honest
> > had no idea how to properly test it ;-) So if you think it should be
> killed,
> > maybe just do the git rm.
>
> Please note that certain parts of KHotkeys functionality, particularly
> that related to executing an arbitrary command have been particularly
> useful for integrating non-KDE applications which don't support global
> shortcuts, as well as for working around problems in the global
> shortcut support provided by some applications.
>
> Given it's status, perhaps someone might want to advertise that we're
> looking for a rewrite / new maintainer for the KF5 iteration?

Would be sad to see khotkeys go without any replacement, I'm not having a
truckload of shortcuts configured there but there are a few and so far I
haven't seen any replacement.

In particular I'm using it to start my preferred browser and to control my
preferred mp3 player. The latter is a cli-tool so it has no global
shortcuts support but it has invocations which talk to the running instance
and can do play, pause etc.

That part of khotkeys has been working for me from KDE 4.2 up until now
(4.11 here), so no idea why it is considered to be 'broken'.

Andreas