List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Any use for uri/* and all/* MIME types?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-21 9:28:26

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 10:36:08 Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> KDE 4.x core components currently add the following MIME types to
> system, among others:
>
> all/all
> all/allfiles
> uri/mms
> uri/mmst
> uri/mmsu
> uri/pnm
> uri/rtspt
> uri/rtspu
>
> Those MIME types define non-standard media types "all" and "uri",
> which update-mime-database complain about.
>
> I found exactly two users of all/*: Ark and Okteta; and no users of
> uri/* at all. Could those media types be dropped? I assume they are
> needed for some backward compatibilty - with what? Or are they serving
> some purpose still?

I do wish we could clean this up, but your searching is incomplete:
E.g. uri/mms is used quite a lot
http://lxr.kde.org/search?filestring=&string=uri%2Fmms

I have no clue what this uri/ mimetypes are.

all/allfiles is deprecated in favour of application/octet-stream, feel free to
make patches to replace one with the other and drop all/allfiles in
frameworks.

all/all means "files and directories", I have some trouble finding use cases
for that.... If there is, e.g. for a context-menu .desktop file, then it could
simply be associated with application/octet-stream + inode/directory.
Send patches my way :)

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr