List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-19 15:16:32

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 14:48:57 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 Dec 2013 12:09:02 Fran=E7ois K. wrote:
> > Hi Vishesh, hi guys,
> >
> > =

> > I'm sorry to short-circuit the thread. I deleted Vishesh's original ema=
il
> > by mistake...
> >
> > =

> > Well, that sounds really exciting ! Thanks again for your work.
> >
> > =

> > Here are a few thoughts/questions I have since you've made the
> > announcement. They might be a bit technical, I hope that's not a problem
> > (should I start a new thread ?).
> >
> > =

> > * What are the plans to store tags ? On OSX, tags are stored in files
> > xattrs which is -IMHO- very nice : - Metadata live and die with the file
> > ;>
> >   - No "store" query when you move or copy a file ;
> >   - You don't rely on a "store" to tag files ;
> >   - You also don't end with a huge store full of unuseful things like it
> >
> > used to happen with Nepomuk some time ago (no offense) ; - You can easi=
ly
> > backup the metadata (at least files metadata) : you just have to use a
> > decent backup tool that handles xattrs ; - It's CLI-friendly ;
> >
> >   - ...
> =

> +1
> =

> I'm leaning towards this as well.

To my knowledge, the list of filesystems with proper xattr support is rathe=
r =

short. This means, a fallback mechanism is needed, at which time one has to =

ask if the primary mechanism is really needed. Programs like "cp" don't see=
m =

to consider xattr by default, so the "CLI" friendly is limited to "if you =

remember to copy xattr" as well.

The advantages of xattr are quite limited due to this, it's definitely not =
a =

silver bullet.

Cheers,
-- =