List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond
From:       Ignacio Serantes <kde () aynoa ! net>
Date:       2013-12-17 19:09:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Ignacio,
>
> On Tuesday, 2013-12-17, 17:55:53, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> > Hi Lindsay,
> >
> > You are right, a higher layer will be needed and this is not a Baloo job
> > but if you want to build a layer like this Baloo must run as a service
> and
> > not as a KDE user level.
> >
> > From my point of view running Nepomuk at user level was a mistake and I
> > would like Baloo don't do the same mistake because I can't share my
> actual
> > information with my computers and devices and, again as my point of view,
> > this is old computing.
>
> Maybe you could elaborate how a system service would facilitate this kind
> of
> sharing while a session service does not.

Well, because I can't do a query if service is not running unless I'm
replicating all my data over all my computers. If I have a big database
this would be impossible because you must wait for a long time until your
data was synchronized. If you are running this as a service you could
connect to that server and you don't need to synchronize this data. A big
database in a mobile or tablet could be problematic because is common you
have gigas in your PCs but megas in your mobile devices.

I can see how it makes it easier to share the data with other users on the
> same machine, but as far as I can tell it does not make any difference as
> far
> as other machines are concerned.
>
> > Obviously this was my petitions :), I'm not interested at all in Akonadi,
> > is old computing too for people who works in only one computer, and I
> can't
> > share my Nepomuk's data with all my devices so I think a software
> developed
> > in 2013 supports 2013 software requirements.
>
> I think you might have some misconceptions about Akonadi but you are
> welcome
> to proof me wrong :)
>
> Probably, when Akonady has a check to disable it maybe I change my mind ;).

> A uniform and data type agnostic access layer sounds pretty state of the
> art
> to me.

Yes, but a single user one running in your user session and not as a
service when you don't want it not. With so many years of development I'm
assuming Akonadi works well for a single user in a single user computer
with only one session opened :). But this is not about Akonadi, is about
Baloo :).

> > For me it will be terrific when I tag, comment or rate a file in one of
> my
> > devices and automatically this information will be available in all my
> > devices and if Baloo works at user level this will be impossible.
>
> I don't see why this would be impossible.
> That's like saying "I'd like my email to be marked unread on all my
> computer
> automatically but if Akonadi wokrs at the user level this will be
> impossible".
> Which would be demonstratably wrong :)

Yes, you are right, but this is achieved with a synchronization method. As
I commented in my first reply I see problems synchronizing this information
because different hardware in your devices.

Let's try an example. I have over 50.000 emails in my Akonadi database with
the synchronization approach if I want to search for a mail tagged as "My
tag" and dated two years ago I will need all 50.000 emails metadata in all
my devices or search will fail.

In my case I have a tablet, two mobiles (Android and iPhone), and four
computers (one in my job) so I need all this data synchronized in 7 devices
or this metadata is useless because is not reliable. The worst part is when
I'm in a customer office working and the only method to connect to the
world is a client computer because 3G is not working so, in brief, my
salvation is a server where all my mail is stored with my metadata and
accessible from any kind device with a browser.

This is obviously my point of view :) but I would like this kind of stuff
will be available for me and for other users.

> Cheers,
> Kevin
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

Best wishes,
Ignacio