List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Not used QPointers showing modal dialogs via exec() - No crash
From:       Daniel Nicoletti <dantti12 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-11 17:53:15

This check is to prevent issues, if someone in the future changes
the code to do something after exec() then it's very likely to
crash due to the caller or it's child stuff already being deleted.
If you don't do anything after exec() and the function was called
by the event loop you are probably safe.

2013/11/11 Harsh Kumar <harsh1kumar@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question:
>
> Krazy2 flags this issue in KMines - Not using QPointers when showing
> modal dialogs via exec()
> See: http://ebn.kde.org/krazy/reports/kde-4.x/kdegames/kmines/index.html
>
> Following is the function to display High Scores dialog where the
> problem has been flagged:
>
> void KMinesMainWindow::showHighscores()
> {
>     KScoreDialog scoreDialog(KScoreDialog::Name | KScoreDialog::Time, this);
>     scoreDialog.initFromDifficulty(Kg::difficulty());
>     scoreDialog.hideField(KScoreDialog::Score);
>     scoreDialog.exec();
> }
>
> KMines should crash when High Score dialog is open & application is
> closed using dbus.
>
> So, I did the following:
> 1.) Started KMines
> 2.) Opened the High Scores dialog
> 3.) Ran the command -
>          qdbus org.kde.kmines-[pid] /MainApplication quit
>
> KMines exits without any crash. It seems nothing went wrong.
>
> What can be the reason for this? Why am I not able to reproduce the crash.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Harsh Kumar

Daniel Nicoletti