List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Network Applet
From:       Daniel Nicoletti <dantti12 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-10-17 22:42:34

2013/10/17 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 06:47:39 PM Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> I don't think you should take it as a dumb down, it's a completely
>> new code/approach, and if one wants I'd say it's now easier to
>> come with a new UI or even keep the "old" one around for a while
>> longer.
>

> Fair enough, and sorry, bit of a surprise see the change. I run wireless and a
> couple of vpn's, and was used to the pop-up status display of the old one.

About popups regarding errors the new one now tells you why some connection
failed to activate...

> So the new UI is decoupled from the engine now? relatively easy to do a
> different one in Plasma/QtQuick?

Afaik the old and the new both didn't use plasma data-engines. By being
easier I mean that lot's of stuff in the old one was hardcoded in the
applet rather that a shared library which is the case now, of course one
still need to make the lib->ui glue but before you would need to copy
code from the applet. You can also fork the new one and just change
the UI for your taste, branching your own ui with git makes it even
easier.

I'm also not a big fan of the applet UI (like the old one better), but they also
didn't like much my KCM so I guess we are even, doing UI's that pleases
everyone is hard...

> --
> Lindsay

Daniel Nicoletti