List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (not only dolphin): Directory doesn't behave as Queue (FIFO)
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-16 12:44:15

Hi,

2013/9/16 Thiago Macieira:
> On domingo, 15 de setembro de 2013 20:34:40, Ralf Gesellensetter wrote:
>> Otherwise, it should be discussed, if dolphin or
>> crusader could offer a workaround (feature
>> request: option to copy files in the same order
>> as files are displayed in source directory).
>
> Copying files in a directory listing is easy. The files are selected on Ctrl+C,
> which puts them in a list, usually ordered, and that's usually how they get
> copied.
>
> It gets a little trickier when you copy a directory full of files that aren't
> displayed. In that case, the recursive copy function needs to access that
> directory to get the listing of files in order to copy. The most efficient way of
> doing that, clearly, is to copy the files in the order that they are listed by
> the OS.
>
> What you're asking for requires sorting the files, even though that list will
> never be displayed. On a large directory (like your music directory containing
> 10000 songs), that is an expensive operation.
>
> I don't think we want that in a regular file manager.

Moreover, implementing something like that is far less trivial than
one might think. The actual copying is not done by the file manager
itself, but by an external process (kio_file or another kioslave) that
has no knowledge about how the file manager would sort the files
inside the directory which is being copied.

Regards,
Frank