List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kde svn GUIs
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-06-21 10:14:24

I recently discussed with the kdesvn author, Rajko Albrecht, about the fact
that kdesvn is currently unmaintained (and is on a SVN repo outside of
kde.org).

This worries me, because my wife and her colleagues use it, and it will
probably bitrot if nobody maintains it.

Shall I import kdesvn into git.kde.org so that it can be maintained there?

Or is the solution for the future, the SVN integration into dolphin?

I gave it a try, and found it to be rather lacking.

* A simple RMB / "svn update" in a large checkout creates a progress item with
no details at all, there's no feedback for a very long time, until finally the
"Subversion Helper" dialog pops up.
kdesvn's similar menu action (in dolphin) has much nicer feedback.

* With the new svn layout (no .svn subdir in every subdir, only one at the
toplevel) there's no more svn operations available in subdirs
(works with kdesvn's plugin).

* But the main point is: kdesvn also provides a full mainwindow where one can
perform more advanced operations such as moving files between dirs (and
committing that to svn), etc.

Are there alternatives I should consider, or is kdesvn the best solution and
we should therefore ensure that it doesn't disappear?

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr