List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-scm-interest] kdenetwork Git migration
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-06-09 11:06:30

El Dijous, 6 de juny de 2013, a les 22:53:17, Pali Roh=E1r va escriure:
> On Thursday 06 June 2013 22:44:18 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dijous, 6 de juny de 2013, a les 22:26:17, Pali Roh=E1r va
> =

> escriure:
> > > Hello,
> > > =

> > > all kopete repos were pushed to git.kde.org. I also enabled
> > > hooks and development sites and configured trunk i18n
> > > branch.
> > > =

> > > When you delete kdenetwork from svn, can you delete also
> > > playground and extragear kopete paths from svn? These are
> > > converted in git too.
> > > =

> > > svn paths:
> > > /trunk/playground/network/kopete/
> > > /trunk/extragear/network/kopete-cryptography/
> > > /trunk/extragear/network/kopete-scripting/
> > > =

> > > new git projects:
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdenetwork/kopete
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/kopete-> >
> > > pimpresence
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/kopete
> > > -scripting
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/kopete
> > > -sharemydesktop
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/kopete
> > > -thinklight
> > > https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/kopete
> > > -whiteboard
> > > =

> > > Plugins cryptography, smpppdcs, motionautoaway and
> > > javascript are in main kopete repository.
> > =

> > So main kopete gained a few plugins? Hope not in the KDE/4.10
> > branch, right?
> > =

> > Cheers,
> > =

> >   Albert
> =

> Hello,
> =

> Some plugins are only in git history. In svn repo were moved from
> trunk to playground (but nothing more).
> =

> Some plugins were moved from svn trunk to playground or
> extragear, which means they have common history with git master
> branch. So these plugins are in separate branches (prefix plugin)

Ok, i had not understood what you meant here until now.

And it's bad, you shouldn't do that.

I understand that there may be some common history between the plugins and =
the =

rest of the repo, but having different codebases in the same repo under =

different branches is not good.

But right now the kopete repo is a mess where there are diverging branches =

both active as development, so 'master' gets "kopete development" and 'plug=
in-
cryptography' gets "cryptography developemtn" and 'plugin-cryptography-doc' =

gets "doc cryptography developemtn", etc.

This is not how we use gut, each repo has various branches but they are all =

"the same code", your setup may work for you (and of course it's a valid wa=
y =

to use git), but it's breaking all the use cases for scripts, tools and =

understandings of "how things work" that we in KDE have been setting up in =
the =

past.

I'd sincerely appreciate if you could make each thing that has it's own ent=
ity =

have it's separate own repo.

Cheers,
  Albert