List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dependency Freeze for 4.11 in 4 days
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-05-29 22:36:49

El Dijous, 30 de maig de 2013, a les 03:53:00, Vishesh Handa va escriure:
> Hey Albert
>
> Soprano usually has an exception to this rule, just like Akonadi. Can/Does
> this exception extend to the Shared Desktop Ontologies as well?

Sincerely, i'd like to have less exceptions not more, in my opinion we
shouldn't give soprano nor akonadi that exception either, it just goes to
increase the false impresion that those are "kdelibs-only software".

Besides as a regular user having our latest releases depend on bleeding edge
soprano, akonadi and SDO is a pain, I don't want to be forced to build a new
soprano to build kdelibs or nepomuk.

That coupling we have in that area worries me a bit, are APIs and/or behaviour
changing that much in those libraries that we absolutely need to use a library
released the same day to make sure it works?

We have an Okular that builds against poppler 0.12 and up, that's 6 major
versions, obviously you don't get all the new features if you use an old
poppler, but stuff still works.

Of course this is a rant, your question can only be answer with a "sure, why
not", since you obviously realized that you totally need something that's not
there on old SDO and you don't have a release yet.

Cheers.
  Albert