List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Interacting with KatePart from code
From:       Adrián_Chaves_Fernández <adriyetichaves () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-29 19:38:03

Hi,

I want to start an application with a text editor that provides a specific syntax \
highlighting, as the application is only going to support a specific type of files \
(MediaWiki). Then I plan to build some features (auto-complete, etc.) on top of it.

Not to reinvent the wheel, I wanted to reuse Kate's text edition widget. I've \
actually been working on improving the MediaWiki syntax highlighting support in Kate, \
so reusing that work for my app would be ideal.

So I found myself copying and pasting the code in \
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Using_KParts

Now I have a working KatePart. But I have no idea whatsoever about interacting with \
it from code (such as getting an instance of KateDocument). Any recommendation that \
puts me in the right direction to set the KatePart syntax highlighting from code?

Also, I want to manually define the context-menu items and any other actions in the \
interface, so I'm not calling createGUI(m_part). Most KatePart actions I don't want \
to provide, so is KatePart the right choice for me nonetheless? Or is there another \
way (without kparts) of reusing Kate's text edition widget that fits my use case \
better?

Many thanks,
Adrian