List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: KDE apps to save configs not only on shutdown
From:       Lydia Pintscher <lydia () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-05-02 20:02:47

Hi Jacek,

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jacek Wielemborek
<wielemborekj1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I finished reading the list of this year's GSOC organizations
> and I must admit KDE is one of my top priorities. I have four
> proposals, one of which are from ideas list and three are totally mine
> - I'll start with the latter:
>
> 1) Get the KDE apps to save configuration not only when they are shut down
>
> I have a bad habit of calling shutdown -h now instead of closing my
> KDE gracefully when I want to power my computer off. I noticed quite a
> few applications (notably Akregator) don't really like it - each time
> I make some change in the program's settings, I lose it once I reboot
> my computer this way and I need to apply the change again, remember
> close the application gracefully and turn it on again. I'd like to fix
> this behaviour. Is it enough for a GSoC application, provided I'd work
> not only on Akregator in this case?
>
> 2) Make qRecordMyDesktop a full-blown KDE app
>
> I think KDE would use a facility to record the user's desktop. In the
> Qt premises, there's  qRecordMyDesktop, but its UI is not very
> comfortable and it's not closely integrated to KDE. I'd like change
> that by forking qrecordmydesktop and work towards making it a KDE's
> "first class citizen".
>
> 3) Port (or at least start to port) Calligra to JavaScript using Emscripten
>
> There's quite a lot of development towards porting Qt applications
> (and KDE ones as well) from C++ to JavaScript using Emscripten - a
> project translating LLVM bytecode of an application to Javascript,
> effectively making even very big programs work in a browser. Despite
> that, I hadn't yet seen any good free word processor I could use in
> cloud and host on my own server. I'd like to try my best porting
> Calligra to JavaScript to change that.
>
> 4) Krfb improvements
>
> I am not exactly sure what would I want to do there yet - two things
> that bugged me when I used it were that it didn't handle screen
> resolution changing well and that I couldn't turn off notifications
> about connection attempts which was really irritating when some bot
> was trying to guess my password the bruteforce way. I believe Krfb
> would benefit from a student planning to do a general bugfixing
> "papercut tasks" session instead of focusing on single function there.
> I am not sure that bugfixing in general is eligible from a GSoC
> proposal (don't know the rules too well) - could anybody comment on
> that?

It is generally possible, yes. Of course there needs to be enough
work. We usually don't take these proposals though because they are
often ill-defined and it is hard to tell when the project is
successful and then it failed.

> 5) KWorkrave
>
> I was also thinking of reviving Workrave - the RSI-prevention
> application that keeps track of when you last had a braek while using
> your computer and reminds you to take on. Do you think I could start a
> new project under the KDE umbrella as a part of GSoC?

We'd prefer not t start any new applications in this year's GSoC:

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org