List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Self Introduction and Project Idea : GSOC 2013
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2013-04-29 22:18:18

Mohd Faisal wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>           I am a M.Tech (Information Security) student from NIT Durgapur
>  backed with B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering.
>
> I am interested in " web application " specially in "Localization team
> management Tool" . [...]
> I would really appreciate a lot if you could please provide some feedback on
> the mentioned projects so that I can discuss the deliverable of the project

Thank you for your interest in this proposal.

You were not the first one who asked, but you are the first one who is asking
on a public channel, so I will repeat here what we (Sebastien and me) already
wrote to the students who showed some interest on this (of course if you have
other questions feel free to ask, but first I strongly suggest to spend some
time on the wiki page with the description of the current site and the
required features):

proposal was born:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=136588323307598&w=2

As you can see, most of the information and requirements (including the
documentation, more or less up-to-date, and a pointer to the source code of
the current website which should be extended) has been then captured into this
page:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Localization/LTMT
The new core feature is about assign a file to each user and the integration
of the report; you can see how it works on the French and Italian website
(with a bit of automatic translation, but the workflow is quite simple).

For information on the translation workflow from the point of view of
translator (which could be quite useful) you can take a look here:
http://l10n.kde.org/docs/translation-howto/

After reading all of this, if you have any specific question about the
project, feel free to ask. You can also find us on IRC (renards is Sebastien's
nickname, tosky is mine).

For generic question regarding the GSoC, and specifically how to write the
application, I would suggest you to check this:
http://teom.org/blog/kde/kde-accepted-for-google-summer-of-code-2013/
or this:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents
(see "Writing Your Application")

In this case the proposal is quite structured, but this does not mean you
can't present it in your own words. Consider that more people will review the
proposals and evaluate them, so while we (from l10n) knows about it, other
people should be able to understand the idea. That said, it's the first time
I'm trying to help as mentor, so for further general questions (not related to
this proposal) I would suggest you to ask on the kde-soc mailing list or the
#kde-soc IRC channel.

Please consider that, even if the proposal is not accepted, the KDE project
will have a "Season of KDE 2013" see the blog above); while the conditions are
a bit different (I guess it's not payed), it's a good way to help and gain
experience (here you can see how it was organized one year ago:
http://dot.kde.org/2012/04/24/google-summer-code-season-kde-2012-there-place-everyone).