List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE Games, GSoC and my proposal.
From:       Roney Gomes <roney477 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-23 4:10:21

Hello friends.

For those of you who still don't know me, I'm Roney, the current
maintainer of KBounce and KNavalbattle.

I have been part of the KDE Games group since last year when my
proposal for "Porting Games to a More Modern Graphics Framework" was
accepted and I had the luck to be mentored by Ian Wadham -- who taught
me things that go beyond the scope of programming, making the whole
GSoC experience a true life achievement.

Unluckily though, I couldn't dedicate myself as much as I would like
in the last months for I was involved in a very extense -- seven
months -- hiring process that endend in a negative answer for me.

Althoug I fixed some bugs and reviewed a few patches, I hadn't the
chance to implement what I think fits perfectly as a proposal for the
GSoC we have this year.

KBounce and KNavalbattle are still very static games, in the sense
that they lack those cool and nice animations we are used to see in
the majority of modern games. One could mention KNavalbattle, which
has a fading animation that's activated every time a boat sinks. The
problem is that its implementation is reiventing the wheel creating
animation classes that can't be reused by any other game, as well
adding code that could be easily removed in favor of Qt's native
animations framework.

My proposal consists of adding support to the Qt Animation Framework
in those games, improving the way animations are made on KNavalbattle
-- replacing its animation classes --, and adding new ones to KBounce
-- which has no animations at all. I'm also going to add new
animations to those parts missing more visual appeal, e.g.: when a
shot hits the water in KNavalbattle or when the screen overlay appears
on KBounce.

I am sending this e-mail before making a formal proposal because I'm
afraid KDE Games will lack mentors this year. We had Ian, but he is
not available anymore since Australia's timezone makes mentoring a
really hard task. I also didn't send this to the KDE Games list only
because we are lacking manpower there and perharps a developer from
other project may have some interest in my proposal.

Best regards,
--
Roney