List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What mechanism does kio notification use?
From:       Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-21 0:47:08

Yes, file changes,

But weird, inotify clearly supports tmpfs, I double-checked with
inotifywait command, but when I do `touch /dev/shm/a`, dolphin
wouldn't see that file until I press F5

Running Arch + KDE 4.5.10, 3.7.9 kernel

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:
>> If what you mean is "file changes/access/" notifications, we use KdirWatch
>> which uses inotify (man inotify)
>
> Thats actually not quite correct, on linux inotify is the default
> preferred method for local files. For nfs-files Fam/Gamin is
> preferred. And to top it off a user can change the preferred method in
> kdeglobals or so.
>
> On other platforms the methods being used are of course also different.
>
> Andreas

Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0xDFE6C29E ( http://keyserver.veridis.com )
Finger Print: 9482 448F C7C3 896C 1DFE 7DD3 2492 A7D0 DFE6 C29E