This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --===============2019350045210743834== Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nextPart1770962.CQY2HVRkOb" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --nextPart1770962.CQY2HVRkOb Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hello KDE developers, Sorry that I'm anwering so late.=20 Well, as far as I know the KDE calculation applications provide followi= ng=20 features: KCalc: a classic calculator, easy to use, but very unproductive for big= ger=20 equatations KAlgebra: mostly a plotting software but with extended calculation=20 functionally (which is usually needed for the plotting part) Cantor: A KDE interface for different Math languages and applications The mentioned applications are great and actually do their job. PhyxCal= c is a=20 different kind of software. The idea is to create the missing-link betw= een=20 algebra software and simple calculator. Its intended to be simple in te= rms of=20 usability and interface and at the same time very powerful. I think it = is=20 mostly useful for writing down formulas and to calculate and verify the= m, more=20 a text editor with culcalation functionality. I for example use it most= ly to=20 do simple calculations with physical units or to verify and convert hex= and=20 bin codes. The idea is not to create a second octave. Another reason I = ported=20 this application was that I was very annoyed be KCalc-like calculators,= =20 because they are actually not very useful on desktop computers (and I h= ave=20 seen a lot of people using them). Another idea is to use it for educational reasons. For example to add=20= informations to the physical units and the mathematical functions would= not be=20 too hard. I could imagine bobbles with information about a unit when mo= ving=20 the mouse cursor over the unit in the text. Also the editable grammar p= art=20 could be interesting for informatic students. Here is actually the link to the application on Qt-Apps.org (it is also= on=20 KDE-Apps.org): http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/PhyxCalc?content=3D1= 49140 The most recent development version can be found on GitHub:=20 https://github.com/strahlex/PhyxCalc Best Regards Alexander On Sunday 10 February 2013 22:17:54 Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote: On Sunday 10 February 2013 19:28:19 Alexander R=F6ssler wrote: > I'm interested in adding my application to the KDE project and to men= tor > some students during GSoC. The application is PhyxCalc (http://qt- > apps.org/content/show.php/PhyxCalc?content=3D149140 > ). I think I have already mentioned it last year. I'm only maintainin= g it > currently, but I think this application has potential and could also = be > interesting for the KDE project (as KAC (KDE Advanced Calculator), ju= st > kidding). Especially interesting is that it is purely based on Qt and= C++, > which makes it quite outstanding I think for an calculator with parsi= ng > functionality. Very special about it is actually the parser whose gra= mmer is > saved in a text file instead of hard coding, making it very flexible.= I > have already written on the GSoC page and a few students have already= > contacted me that they would be interested. Hey Alexander, could you give some insights into the differences to our existing KDE E= du=20 projects like KAlgebra [1] and Cantor [2] (including Cantor's backends)= ? I=20 would like to understand where the differences between them and PhyxCal= c are,=20 especially * where PhyxCalc goes beyond their features and * where the benefit of a stand-alone extension lies compared to extendi= ng our=20 existing applications. IMO it would help much to understand your application better by underst= anding=20 the differences to the applications we already ship. Maybe there is eve= n a=20 possible collaboration hidden that could be started :) Greetings, Andreas [1] http://edu.kde.org/applications/all/kalgebra [2] http://edu.kde.org/applications/all/cantor --nextPart1770962.CQY2HVRkOb Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hel= lo KDE developers,

Sor= ry that I'm anwering so late.

Wel= l, as far as I know the KDE calculation applications provide following = features:

KCa= lc: a classic calculator, easy to use, but very unproductive for bigger= equatations

KAl= gebra: mostly a plotting software but with extended calculation functio= nally (which is usually needed for the plotting part)

Can= tor: A KDE interface for different Math languages and applications

The= mentioned applications are great and actually do their job. PhyxCalc i= s a different kind of software. The idea is to create the missing-link = between algebra software and simple calculator. Its intended to be simp= le in terms of usability and interface and at the same time very powerf= ul. I think it is mostly useful for writing down formulas and to calcul= ate and verify them, more a text editor with culcalation functionality.= I for example use it mostly to do simple calculations with physical un= its or to verify and convert hex and bin codes. The idea is not to crea= te a second octave. Another reason I ported this application was that I= was very annoyed be KCalc-like calculators, because they are actually = not very useful on desktop computers (and I have seen a lot of people u= sing them).

Ano= ther idea is to use it for educational reasons. For example to add info= rmations to the physical units and the mathematical functions would not= be too hard. I could imagine bobbles with information about a unit whe= n moving the mouse cursor over the unit in the text. Also the editable = grammar part could be interesting for informatic students.

Her= e is actually the link to the application on Qt-Apps.org (it is also on= KDE-Apps.org): http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/PhyxCalc?content=3D= 149140