List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for Ark to preselect a fileformat for uncertain fileextensions
From:       David Narvaez <david.narvaez () computer ! org>
Date:       2013-02-13 13:36:01

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Daniel Nagy <DanielNagy@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> i have written a small patch for Ark that adds two new commandline
> options.
> You may have seen the box when Ark asks you to choose which archive type a
> file is
> supposed to be when you dont open files with an ordinary fileextension.
> If you dont know what I mean you can see that box by renaming a "foo.zip"
> "foo.xyz" an try to open that in Ark.
>
> As I have not found a non-interactive way to preselect an entry and skip
> that box,
> I have written this patch which will add
>
>   A new option "--fileformat <mimetype>".
>   This lets you select an option from that box without interaction, and
>
>   A new option "--fileformatlist", which will output a list of possible
> values
>   for "<fileformat>".
>
> Now ( if you know that foo.xyz is actually a 'application/zip' ) you can
>
>   $ ark --fileformat="application/zip" foo.xyz
>
> and it will open that file without the need to select that format
> excplicitly.
> The background for writing this was that I work on a new file format which
> is
> actually a zip-file and I wanted ark to open without interaction.
>
> the part in the main.cpp ( which outputs the list of possible values )
> may be written more crossplatform-friendly but i still hope you like the
> idea of the patch.
>
> Best,
> Daniel Nagy

Hi, thanks for the patch!

Could you put it up on the ReviewBoard[0]? All you need is an Identity
account[1] and a couple of setup steps as described in the Techbase[2]
(which are eased if you use KDevelop). For this particular patch, you
want to use the kdeutils group for review.

Let me know if you need any more directions.

David E. Narváez

[0] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org
[1] http://identity.kde.org
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Review_Board