List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Input method integration for KDE 4.11
From:       Weng Xuetian <wengxt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-01-15 20:11:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,
Under linux, input method is always being a mess:
1. Start it correctly
ubuntu, debian: im-switch, im-config
fedora: imsettings
opensuse: their own script and I don't really know package name about it.

im-switch and im-config have bug so long time, and all of them are distro
specific.

2. Relation betwen keyboard layout and input method
Agree it or not, keyboard layout is only a kinds of special input method, and
it should live with input method,

Now, more and more input method are taking care of keyboard layout (which
means it would just conflict with kde's own keyboard layout settings), but
it's the correct way to go:
Here comes my beloved usecase :D
User is using a Chinese input method, which expect it to be something similar
with qwerty, but if you're using a de layout, it will type some non-sense
character.

And idea is, input method have layout on its own, and should be take care by
input method itself (if they can).

So, leaving user with keyboard layout settings provided by kde if input method
can already handle it doesn't make any sense.

Under upper idea, I wrote some code, now it's only complete the idea 1.
https://github.com/csslayer/kde-input-method

Currently it only have fcitx's profile for test (since I'm selffish fcitx
dev), but it's trivial to add others (gcin, hime, ibus, maliit).

It provides distro independent start up and environment handling (by global
kde env script), input method process starting and monitoring (by kded).

BTW kded part can be also adopted by plasma-active.

Configure button in kcm is not implemented yet.

Currently it has its own kcm, which I want to have it sit in kcm-component-
chooser. And for backward compatibilty, it can be switch to "none" and in that
way nothing will be affected.

And I need input from kcm-keyboard maintainer (already in CC) and non-CJK
people. I'm not sure about which list should be CC to, so I only send to kde-
devel for now.

Regards,
Xuetian