List:       kde-devel
Subject:    backup system for KDE
From:       Adrien  <adrien.grellier () laposte ! net>
Date:       2013-01-05 15:55:24

Hi,

I am looking for a backup system, well integrated into KDE. MacOS has
TimeMachine, but for KDE I only found backintime-kde, which is developped
but not well integrated, and timevault, which is well integrated and very
promising, but abandonned:
http://backintime.le-web.org/
http://blog.chatonka.com/2009/12/timevault-progress-update/

Before starting anything, I would like to know if people are working on such
a backup system for KDE.

The idea is to have an easy way to backup a full KDE session or just folders
mainly on an external hard drive, but why not on network too (to owncloud
for instance). The interface should be well integrated into KDE : having the
configuration in systemsettings, restoring should work directly from
dolphin, backups should be browseable directly from dolphin, etc. Timevault
is very close to this.

If there is no such project, I am interested to start one (or improving an
existing one), because I can't live without a good backup system, and
because I want to start to understand how KDE is build, and go deeper than
the usual user I am now :-)

Regards,

Adrien Grellier