List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developers and KDE Brainstorm
From:       "David Jarvie" <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-12-11 13:21:18

> On Saturday 08 December 2012 23:57:35 Dion Moult wrote:
> > Every so often, I will pick the users top choices that seem plausible and
> > will bring them to _you_, and discuss how to evolve the idea into
something
> > that could be implemented. Then we can open up an enhancement bug
report in
> > BKO, and start getting some brainstorm ideas along the Submitted->In
> > progress->Done chain.
> The problem here is that nobody in the brainstorm section can know what
"could
> be implemented" without feedback from the developers. And I don't think it
> makes any sense to just move the wishes from brainstorm to bko. Happened
for
> kwin a few times and actually it was always a "meh, that's too complex" or
> "meh, that doesn't fit at all our design". Ending in that the proper
response
> would have been to directly close as WONTFIX. I cannot remember to have
ever
> gotten any user feedback that I implemented (either on bko or on
brainstorm).
> Also I do not accept that a few users voting for a feature represent the
> opinion of the user base.
>
> So my suggestion would be to get the developers' feedback into
brainstorm to
> figure out what the developers think about it. Let them tell the users what
> they think about it. I think it's more honest to say that "this would
require
> at least a person month of work, so don't expect it ever to happen" then to
> give users the feeling that they are ignored.
>
> Another general problem is that developers probably have their own
agenda and
> have their own ideas on how to take the software further. Personally I
doubt
> that anyone is waiting for users to come up with new ideas. So I see user
> suggested features at max as something for new developers.

It probably depends on the type of project as to whether users' ideas are
useful, but for KAlarm I've implemented quite a number of feature
suggestions from users. So I don't think you can generalise your own
experience in suggesting that user ideas are very unlikely to be useful.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.